I first made these stuffed peppers for my Mom over the Summer. I invited her over for lunch and these peppers turned out even better than I expected! I’ve since neglected to actually type out the recipe and post it. Whoops. Recipes for stuffed peppers seem to vary greatly and I’ve never followed a specific recipe for them-instead I combine a few ingredients that I think would go well together. So this is my version of stuffed peppers using chorizo and crice.
Stuffed Peppers with Crice and Chorizo
- 3 sweet peppers
- 1/2 head of cauliflower
- 1 package (4 links) chorizo or sausage of your preference
- 1 16 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 2 Tb olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp Italian seasonings
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp chili powder
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Feta cheese (Omit if you are whole30-ing it up!)
1. Rice the cauliflower in a food processor. You will need about 4 cups.
2. Cut the peppers in half, cleaning out all of the seeds. Place them in a casserole dish and bake in the oven at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes to soften them slightly.
3. Add your olive oil to a pot, along with onion and garlic and cook until they are softened slightly, approximately 10 minutes. Add your crice to the mixture. Cover and let steam for about 5 minutes. You may need to add water or broth.
4. While the crice is cooking, chop the chorizo (or sausage) and brown it in a separate pan.
5. Add your tomatoes and seasonings to the crice mixture. Mix well and cook until the cauliflower is softened to your preference. Add the chorizo and mix thoroughly. Your stuffing is done!
6. Stuff your peppers and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes or until the tops have begun to brown slightly. Top with the feta cheese and bake for 3 more minutes.
7. Enjoy with your favorite person!
Note: Extra stuffing is wonderful for leftovers or as a side for dinner the next night!