I hope that everyone had a wonderful Easter! I spent the day with my family and it went entirely too fast. After many months of consideration and chocolate, I have decided that it is time for another Whole30. I have been using food as comfort for the past few months and I need a reset to get back to using food as energy. The winter months tend to get to me, so I find myself using chocolate and yummy family dinners to cure a bad mood, bad day, rough week…You get the idea.
I did my first Whole30 back in the Fall. It was definitely a learning experience-I could no longer use Friday nights as a my eat anything because its Friday and I am exhausted. My Mom and completed the Whole30 together, and I think having her for support and accountability were huge factors in my success. Two major things that I discovered during my first Whole30:
1. I function better with larger meals and less snacking. The Whole30 encourages participants to eat 3 meals a day with no snacks in between, unless there is a post workout meal. Before this, I thought that I needed to eat every 3 hours. And I did, because otherwise I would become shaky and irritable. However, by eating 3 larger meals a day, I was able to get rid of that low blood sugar feeling between meals because my insulin levels weren’t constantly changing. At first I had a hard time getting enough to eat at a meal to hold me over to the next, but I figured out that healthy fats like avocado are my best friends!
2. Sugarless Gum is Over-rated. I used to be the gum queen. Ask me for a piece of gum and I’d have at least three options for you to choose from. Now? I haven’t had a piece of gum in months! And I rarely think about or miss it. I used gum as a stress reducer and in place of mindless snacking. Ironically, I think it probably just wore my jaw out and made me crave sugar even more.
My Goals for this Whole30:
1. Focus on 3 solid meals a day.
2. Get rid of my sugar craving after every meal.
3. Stop using food for comfort!
I also plan on making food ahead of time, starting with Paleomg’s Sweet Potato Enchiladas. Her recipes are amazing! Having pre-made meals is much more convenient, and it requires less thinking about food!
Do you have any goals for April?